cascading python executions only if return code is 0

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 22 18:02:51 EST 2013

On 22/12/2013 22:51, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Frank Cui <ycui at outlook.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for pointing out. I accept your advice and will try to make the
>> questions clearer and more straightforward to interpretate . I already took
>> the suggestion of using exception-based handling over the return code.
>>
>> As to testing whether the previous function fails or succeeds, this doesn't
>> really matter in the sense that I already mentioned a return code of 0.
>
> Ranting Rick is one of the list's resident trolls. Don't take it amiss
> that he turned his flamethrowers on you. :)
>
> ChrisA

Given that Frank originally stated this

"
I have a requirement where I need to sequentially execute a bunch of
executions, each execution has a return code. the followed executions
should only be executed if the return code is 0. is there a cleaner or
more pythonic way to do this other than the following ?

if a() == 0:
     if b() == 0:
         c()
"

I can only see one way that you can possibly intepret it.  Perhaps rr
was dashing off a reply on a mobile device while doing a home run, hence
wasn't concentrating on what Frank had actually said?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence