cascading python executions only if return code is 0

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Dec 22 19:08:06 EST 2013

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 14:49:43 -0500, Ned Batchelder wrote:

> On 12/22/13 2:10 PM, Frank Cui wrote:
>> sorry, but what if I need to have different parameters in these
>> functions ?
>
> Frank, welcome to the group.  Common convention is to put your response
> below the exiting message, so that the conversation continues down the
> page.

Ideally responses should be *interleaved* between parts of the quoted
message, rather than just dumped at the end. The idea is that it's a
conversation:

    Fred said:
    -> How do I exfoliate my monkey?

    Get a friend to hold it down while you rub it all over
    with Extra Strength Monkey Exfoliating Cream. When you
    are done, give it a banana as a reward.

    -> Once I have my exfoliated monkey, how do I convince
    -> others that it is my child?

    Dress it in children's clothes, and make sure you tell
    people that he or she has a very sensitive artistic
    personality, and that is why you allow it to climb the
    walls.

sort of thing. This also gives the writer the opportunity to trim out
parts of the irrelevant text which is no longer relevant to the
conversation, although it is considered polite to give some indication,
usually [snip] or [...], that you have done so.

See Wikipedia's article on posting styles for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_styles

--
Steven