Error while building Python doc

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Dec 22 15:59:11 EST 2013

On 12/22/2013 1:53 PM, shankha wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to build Python documents as listed here
>
> http://docs.python.org/devguide/documenting.html#building-the-documentation
>
> make -C Doc html
>
> Error message:
> Checked out revision 89010.
> mkdir -p build/html build/doctrees
> python tools/sphinx-build.py -b html -d build/doctrees -D
> latex_paper_size=  . build/html
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "tools/sphinx-build.py", line 27, in <module>
>      from sphinx import main
> ImportError: No module named sphinx
> make: *** [build] Error 1
> make: Leaving directory `Python-git/cpythonL-doc/Doc'
>
> Sphinx is located inside the directory: Doc/tools.

Based on my Windows tree, that should be Doc/tools/sphinx/, along with
docutils, jinja, and pygments directories. To be a module, sphinx must
contain __init__.py, along with other files.

> Do I need to change how I import (the path may be).

Did you run "make -C Doc checkout" first? (I do not know what the -C
does, as I just do "make checkout" and occasionally make update in Doc
on Windows, which run Doc/make.bat.

--
Terry Jan Reedy