BLANK PAGE when i try Filtering Adsense with abpy

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 13:08:39 EST 2013

On 12/22/2013 10:20 AM, em rexhepi wrote:
> When I use my code it just displays nothing
>
> My code:
> #!/usr/local/bin/python3.1
>
> import cgitb;cgitb.enable()
>
> import urllib.request
> response = urllib.request.build_opener()
> response.addheaders = [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0')]
> response = urllib.request.urlopen("www.youtube.com";)
>
> html = response.read()
>
> from abpy import Filter
> with open("easylist.txt") as f:
> f = Filter(file('easylist.txt'))
> f.match(html)

What happens when you comment out the above four lines?  Does the web
page print without the filtering?  Just as a sanity check.  My hunch is
that html has no data in it.

Also what is "f.match(html)" supposed to return? Is it supposed to
mutate html (seems unlikely) or does it return something? Looking at the
source code, match() does not return anything, but prints to stdout,
which is weird, but at least that tells us that it doesn't actually
change the html object.

> print("Content-type: text/html")
> print()
> print (html)

I'm not sure you're doing this right.  adpy seems a bit goofy, but since
f.match() does not appear to change html at all, you should get the same
html out that urllib grabbed.  So if you're not getting any output, that
means you're not getting the original html somehow.  Also if f.match()
is doing its thing, I don't think you want to print out html after the
command, because f.match itself is printing to stdout itself.

Have you looked over the adpy source code?  I haven't bothered to run
it, but a glance through the code would seem to indicate that it doesn't
actually do the filtering at all, but rather just prints out the rules
that the html code you provide would match.  I bet you could modify it
to do filtering though.  Maybe add a method that uses rule.sub to
replace the bad text with an empty string.