Why Python is like C++

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 03:18:33 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/12/2013 14:19, Roy Smith wrote:
>>
>> http://xkcd.com/1306/
>>

> I believe that to be a very superficial like.  They're unlike in that once
> C++ people have compiled their code they can head down to the pub, but
> Python people have to stay at work testing because the compiler hasn't
> caught all potential errors.

Python should be used with static analysis (EG pylint), IMO, for
reliability.  Python should also be used, IMO, with a good set of
automated unit, integration and system tests.

C++ should use automated tests too, but is often used without because
the compilers make it almost reasonable to do without.  The compilers
tend to make it so you don't need static analysis, but it's so cheap
to use static analysis that it's a good idea to do so.