Why Python is like C++

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Dec 21 19:27:48 EST 2013

Tim Chase wrote:
> In know that my first BASIC, Applesoft BASIC had the 2-character
> names, and you had to load Integer Basic (with Ints in addition to the
> standard Floats used in the BASIC provided by the ROM, a strange
> choice).

That's not the way I remember it working. Integer Basic
provided only integers; Applesoft was an alternative ROM
that replaced Integer Basic and provided both float and
int variables.

But I think the only reason to use int variables (ending
with %) in Applesoft was to save memory -- they were
always converted to floats for doing arithmetic. And they
were 16-bit ints, so they had less precision than floats.

--
Greg