Why Python is like C++

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 03:17:26 EST 2013

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Gregory Ewing
<greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Michael Torrie wrote:
>>
>> Maybe BASIC's of the 70s.  But Not QB.  QuickBasic was a pretty
>> impressive compiler in its day.  Completely modern, structured language.
>

> I may have been thinking of GW-BASIC. There was
> definitely something that was pretty much an
> old-school BASIC with line numbers, GOSUBS and
> all that.

GW-BASIC is what you're describing. Q-BASIC isn't the same as
QuickBasic, though. Q-BASIC had subs and functions and stuff, but it
was still, at its heart, BASIC. And you could DIM something with a
type, but normally it was the adorning suffix that determined type: A$
is a string, A% is an integer, A! (or A) is float, A# is double.

ChrisA