seeking a framework to automate router configurations

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 22:27:55 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Frank Cui <ycui at outlook.com> wrote:
> "Asynchronously reset a large number of cisco routers back to their original
> configurations and push prepared initial configurations to them"

>From the sound of your partial solutions, this is done over a TCP/IP
socket? I don't know how you'd go about authenticating yourself with
the router (unless the factory reset is done some other way, and the
telnet part is just to push the config, in which case you'd be using
the default credentials), but presumably you've worked that part out
already.

Python has a socket module which is probably what you want here. You
can connect on any port, read what comes back, and send whatever you
need. If the job's simple enough, you might even be able to just
connect, send a fixed blob of text, and then listen for errors in the
response... or even not, and just let the user try it afterwards.

http://docs.python.org/3/library/socket.html

Does that look like what you need?

ChrisA