Packaging a private project

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 06:18:17 EST 2013

Dear List,

What is the best way to distribute a private, pure python, Python 3
project that needs several modules (some available on pypi but some
private and used by several separate projects) in order to run?

I'd like to include everything that my project needs to run in a
single package.  The best way to do this seems to be to be to create
symlinks to the source code of the "3rd party" modules I need and
create a setup.py file that includes them in its "packages" list.  Is
this what other people do?

But even more ideally, I'd like to package my script and its
dependencies in a single zip file that can be executed by python
directly.  I see several declarations that this is possible online,
but I can't find a simple recipe for converting a script and its
dependencies into this kind of distribution. Could someone give me a
pointer to a description of "the right way to do it".

I'm making life harder for myself by using python 3 (PyInstaller still
only supports Python 2) and by the fact that I can't release some of
the necessary code publicly.  Releasing modules and scripts on pypi
has become very easy -- I'd forgotten how hard packaging private code
is!

Thank you for any help.

N.