Is it more CPU-efficient to read/write config file or read/write sqlite database?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Dec 18 21:06:34 EST 2013

On 2013-12-18 15:14, dick wrote:
>>However, my understanding is that they have a small on-drive
>>battery/capacitor that stores sufficient energy for the cached
>>write(s) to complete in the event the system's power abruptly cuts
>>off.
>>
>>Granted, this is purely hearsay, as it's been a long time since I
>>mucked around with hardware much.
>>
> The drives may have something like that now, but they didn't have
> any power down flush capability when I was working for WD. Of
> course, that was 15 years ago...

<old_fart>
Indeed, I certainly remember launching park.exe on my DOS & Win95
machines to flush write-caches and park the heads in preparation of
power-down.
</old_fart>
I recall being told by multiple hardware professionals
since 2000 that such wasn't needed any more.  I don't have reason to
doubt them, especially as I no longer see references to parking heads
in any OS or add-on utility.

At least on linux (possibly the BSDs too), one can specify that
particular mounts are done with the "sync" option to force all writes
to make it to the metal/EEPROM before returning, though I don't think
this is the default.

-tkc