Is it more CPU-efficient to read/write config file or read/write sqlite database?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Dec 19 02:56:42 EST 2013

On 18Dec2013 21:50, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's fundamentally about crash recovery, [...]
> Databases protect against that. If you want that protection, use a
> database. If you don't, use a file. There's nothing wrong with either
> option.

Look, broadly I agree. But this thread was about sharing access to
configs etc between processes. And it segued into suggesting sqlite.
Which is good and bad.

My point here is that here we were discussing cooperative access
to some shared state. And a "database" is tossed into the mix, with
its -- for this purpose --- overkill data integrity provisions.

So I feel obliged to point out the performance costs associated
with using a sledgehammer to bang in a tack.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

Churchill's Commentary on Man: Man will occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.