GUI:-please answer want to learn GUI programming in python , how should i proceed.

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Dec 16 11:46:33 EST 2013

On 2013-12-16, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:
>> On 12/16/13, 10:20 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>>
>>> Having made a tweak to gitk at one point, I have to say Tcl is
>>> definitely inferior to Python.
>>

>> Without starting a flame war, can you elaborate? I'm curious about your
>> perspective.

I wrote a few Tcl apps once many, many years ago.  After attempting to
write something more than a few hundred lines long, I gave up and
swore off Tcl completely.  I switched to Scheme, and later to Python.

The things I found infuriating about Tcl:

  * The "everything is a string" view of the world is severly
    limiting if you're not just processing strings.

  * The quoting syntax and semantics appears to have been invented by
    somebody at the CIA as a way to torture programmers into doing...
    something... I don't know what.

  * Tcl doesn't seem to have any sort of coherent design or philosophy
    behind it but rather consists of a bunch of hacks piled on top of
    a simple and limited shell-like string processing language.  It
    sort of feels like PHP in that regard.

When I finally gave up fighting with Tcl's quoting semantics half way
through a medium/small application and switched to Scheme/Tk, I had my
app written from scratch in a fraction of the time it took to get
about half way done in Tcl, and with about 1/3 the lines of code.

Python probably would have cut both hours and lines by half again
compared to Scheme.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'd like some JUNK
                                  at               FOOD ... and then I want to