GUI:-please answer want to learn GUI programming in python , how should i proceed.

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Sat Dec 14 12:05:49 EST 2013

> GUI:-want to learn GUI programming in python  , how should i proceed.
>
> There are lots of book here so I am  confuse which book  i should
> refer so that i don't waste time .

It depends on what you want to do with the GUI, since there are many
different GUI frameworks for Python.

E.g. If you absolutely need to run your applications on MacOS X, then
PyGTK is probably not the best choice. WingIDE, a popular IDE, has been
recently ported to PyQt, apparently for this reason. Besides, PyGTK
itself seems to be "shelved", PyGObject now (since GTK 3) seems to be
the "canonical" way to implement GTK GUIs in Python.

Tkinter is a bit "special" to use since it's not just a library, but
uses some kind of RPC. It seems that "look and feel" have been greatly
improved lately.

wxWidgets (wxPython) recently (since 2.9/3.0) got support for Cocoa,
it's native on the Mac. It's quite slim, but seems to be a "moving
target" API-wise, since the developers are not shy from breaking
compatibility. Is it compatible with Python 3 yet?

PyQt looks native everywhere, but it might be a bit overweight,
depending on what you want to do and where your applications need to
run.

And then there's the licensing issue, since PyQt, unlike Qt itself, is
not available under LGPL afaik. For closed-source commercial
applications, there seems to be a way to use a commercially licensed
PyQt (much less expensive than Qt itself) together with LGPL-Qt
however. Pyside would be a LGPL alternative to PyQt, but it doesn't
seem to be as up-to-date as PyQt.

And then, there are even more frameworks, such as Pygame, PyGUI, etc....

And each of these frameworks has dedicated mailinglists.

Personally I found it difficult to use any of the "wrapped" C++
frameworks without being able to understand the documentation made
for C++. :-(

Sincerely,

Wolfgang