Filtering and blocking (was Re: Islam is the spammiest subject line on python-list)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Dec 13 18:07:35 EST 2013

On 12/13/2013 11:45 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
>> However, we've recently implemented filtering via the gateway, and I've
>> just added bv4 to the list of banned addresses. (I'm not 100% sure I've
>> got it right, so let's see if they make it in again).

Thank you Tim. Since bv4... is active again, I was about to either
request 'someone' do that, or try to figure out how.

> What happens if someone else trips the filter (collateral damage)? Are
> they informed that they're blocked, or does the post get black-holed?

The spam filter is different from the block list. The block_list
discards. Nikos was warned and informed before being added. I presume
bv4 is just blocked. The spam filter sends to a human moderator who
either accepts or discards. The filter is not currently tuned to catch
CoC violations, such as personal insults, from otherwise normal posters.
If it were, moderators could reject with explanation and suggestion to
revise.

--
Terry Jan Reedy