request for guidance

David Hutto dwightdhutto at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 00:11:09 EST 2013

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean reinventing the wheel is a bad thing,
just that once you get the hang of things, you need to display some
creativity in your work to set yourself apart from the rest.

Nowadays, everyone's a programmer.

If it weren't for reinventing the wheel, then we wouldn't have abs(antilock
breaking systems), or new materials, or different treading for water
displacement or hydroplaning.

The point was just to try something in python, and to 'boldly go where no
'man' has gone before'.

Just to remind her that it's not just about python, but what you can
accomplish with it, and distinguish yourself from others.

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM, David Hutto <dwightdhutto at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > In my opinion, a novice always tries to reinvent the wheel. Take for
> example
> > a simple text editor.
>
> Which isn't a bad thing. Especially in that particular case, it's good
> to try your hand at writing a text editor - most of the hard
> grunt-work is done for you (just plop down an edit control - in some
> toolkits you can even deploy a control with full source code
> highlighting), so you can focus on figuring out what it is that makes
> yours different. And then you'll appreciate other editors more :) But
> along the way, you'll learn so much about what feels right and what
> feels wrong. And maybe you can incorporate some of your own special
> unique features into whatever editor you end up using... quite a few
> are scriptable.
>
> ChrisA
> --

Best Regards,