Knapsack Problem Without Value

Gary Herron gherron at digipen.edu
Thu Dec 12 21:49:14 EST 2013

On 12/12/2013 06:08 PM, geezle86 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanna ask about Knapsack. I do understand what Knapsack is about. But this one i faced is a different problem. There is no value. I mean, it's like this, for example.
>
> I have 4 beams [X0, X1, X2, X3]. Each 1, 2, 2, 3 cm long. I want to make a new 6 cm long connected-beam from these 4 beams. I can make it from some of these. The output will print:
>
> 1, 2, 3 #(X0, X1, X3)
>
> You understand what my problem is? Can you help me?
>
> Sincerely,

No, I don't understand what your problem is.

You say there are no values but then you give 4 values (1, 2, 2, and 3),
and then you *solve* the Knapsack problem like this:
         1, 2, 3 #(X0, X1, X3)

That looks like a fine solution to me.

Questions:

  * Exactly *what* is the problem.  If you tell us *carefully* what the
    problem is, we may try to solve it.

  * This is a Python list.  Does your problem have anything to do with
    Python?

  * Is this a homework problem?  We generally don't solve homework
    problems here (since you don't learn anything that way), but we are
    certainly happy to help you learn.

Gary Herron

--
Dr. Gary Herron