Figuring out what dependencies are needed

sal at nearlocal.com sal at nearlocal.com
Wed Dec 11 07:44:53 EST 2013

I'm a Python beginner.  I want to use it for stats work, so I downloaded Anaconda which has several of the popular libraries already packaged for Mac OS X.

Now I'd like to use the backtesting package from zipline (zipline.io), but while running the test script in iPython, I receive the following error:

AssertionError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-6-f921351f78e2> in <module>()
----> 1 data = load_from_yahoo()
      2 dma = DualMovingAverage()
      3 results = dma.run(data)

1)  I assume that I'm missing some packages that aren't included in Anaconda, but how do I know which ones to upload?

2)  Often I'll just unzip a library file and put the main folder in the iPython folder, but I notice there's usually a setup.py file in the main library folder.  I've been ignoring this.  Should I be using it?

Thanks