grab dict keys/values without iterating ?!

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Dec 10 23:47:10 EST 2013

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 02:02:20 +0200, Tamer Higazi
<tameritoke2 at arcor.de> wrote:
> Is there a way to get dict by search terms without iterating the
entire
> dictionary ?!

> I want to grab the dict's key and values started with 'Ar'...

Your wording is so ambiguous that each respondent has guessed
differently.

I'm guessing that you want all key/value pairs for which the key
begins with the two letters 'Ar' I'm guessing further that your
objection to iterating the entire dictionary is not code size but
performance.

If both assumptions are valid then I'll point out that a dict has no
ordering to it. If you want an approach that doesn't iterate over the
entire structure you'll need to store the data differently.  For
example if you stored all the keys in a sorted list you could use
bisect.

--
DaveA