Trouble with Multi-threading

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Dec 11 05:37:22 EST 2013

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:57:50 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:21:32 -0500, dan.rose wrote:
>
>> "PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
>> privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose of
>> conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended recipient,
>> please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete
>> the information from your system. Thank you for your cooperation."
>
> Regretfully I am unable to delete the message from my Usenet provider's
> servers.
>
> However, in accordance with your request I have expunged the body of
> your request so as to avoid disseminating it.

When did this forum become so intolerant of even the tiniest, most minor
breaches of old-school tech etiquette? Have we really got nothing better
to do than to go on the war path over such trivial issues? Out of five
followed by no fewer than four people playing "Stacks on the n00b" making
the same comment about being unable to delete the message. I'm sure all
four of you think you are ever such wits, but you're only half right.

Walter, you and I both know that such legal disclaimers are pointless and
unenforceable. But you are guilty of misrepresenting what it says, and
hence make yourself out to be a Grade A Dick. The disclaimer does not say
"Everybody who receives this message must delete it from servers they
don't control." That truly would display galactic-level stupidity. But it
doesn't say that.

As a subscriber to the mailing list and/or newsgroup which Dan's message
was sent to, you *are* an intended recipient. The disclaimer says that
those who are *not* intended recipients should delete it from THEIR
systems, not that those who *are* intended recipients should delete it
from systems belonging to OTHERS. Duh.

As programmers, we should be able to correctly interpret the boolean
logic in the disclaimer. Surely you know how to read, and interpret, a
set of plain English functional requirements?

- It doesn't say that the message "is" confidential, it says it *may* be,
which is a correct statement regardless of the actual confidentially of
the message.

- It doesn't demand that the message "must" be used only for certain
purposes, but only that it *should* be so used -- again, a statement of
intention which is correct.

- Lastly, it doesn't pretend to be able to compel the recipient into any
particular action, but merely *requests* that they not be a dick about
confidential or privileged emails which they receive by mistake. And even
thanks them in advance for their (presumed) cooperation.

We shouldn't be giving a newcomer to this group a hard time over
something which (1) he has little control over, (2) which isn't actually
factually incorrect in any way, and (3) in the grand scheme of things
isn't that bad a breach of etiquette.

I'm really getting cheesed off at the intolerance and nastiness being
displayed on this list. I'm not aiming this specifically at you, Walter,
you're not even close to one of the worst culprits. This isn't
comp.lang.c, if you want a forum for arrogant elitists who look for any
petty excuse to bash newcomers, take it elsewhere. I've been a regular
here for over seven years, possibly longer, and the level of
unpleasantness is at an all-time high, and the level of usefulness is
lower than I've ever seen it before.

--
Steven