Movie (MPAA) ratings and Python?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Dec 10 15:26:31 EST 2013

Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au>wrote:
> > What information would you want access to? Why would a library
> > (rather than, say, a short set of strings) be needed?
> >
> Movie ratings.   EG G, PG, PG-13, etc.

That tells me only that you want short strings. Based on what you've
said so far, your requirements can be met with code like this:

    movie_ratings = ["G", "PG", "PG-13", …]

which doesn't need a library to access.

So, I ask again: What data do you want access to? Can you describe what
you want your program to receive when it accesses movie ratings?

Is this information held specifically by the MPAA? If so, where is it
online, and how do the MPAA make it available publicly? These are
questions to answer prior to asking about Python libraries.

Before asking “how do I use Python for this job?”, you need to help us
understand what “this job” is.

--
 \             “For your convenience we recommend courteous, efficient |
  `\                            self-service.” —supermarket, Hong Kong |