Experiences/guidance on teaching Python as a first programming language

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 15:53:30 EST 2013

On 12/9/2013 7:23 AM, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
[snip]
> I'm interested to know if anyone can share experience of
> a similar situation or can point to any case studies about this.
Taking the opposite perspective from Gene:

I think Python is great as an intro to computing and programming.

Give a student a tool with which he can be productive quickly. and with
minimal effort.

Understanding the real machine may be of interest to some but is not
essential .I'd make that "later" and optional.

Do you teach potential drivers how the engine works before letting them
drive?

Caution: having listened to many students express their suffering on
these lists I recommend:
beta test any course before putting it into production.
be sure you give the student what he needs to understand and take the
next step.
be sure your instructors are willing to help the students.
it is, after all, the job of the instructor to ensure the student succeeds.