Experiences/guidance on teaching Python as a first programming language

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 11:25:55 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> Not sure what the proves, other than these are the languages people who
> are looking for jobs know (or at least claim to know).

That's the converse of what I was talking about. Employability of a
skill depends on how many employers are looking for that skill;
sightings on resumes aren't quite that. But since people will put on
their resumes what they think employers will actually care about (mine
doesn't mention my ability to use Q-BASIC's CALL ABSOLUTE command to
make use of a mouse), they're going to be at least somewhat connected.
Of course, it might be that stackoverflow careers attracts Python
programmers and something else attracts C programmers, but unless
there's some really major skew, I'd say it's still at least somewhat
valid to point to that and show that Python matters to employment.

ChrisA