Experiences/guidance on teaching Python as a first programming language

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Tue Dec 17 10:22:33 EST 2013

> > It's not just the abysmally appalling, hideously horrifying syntax.
> > At about everything about C is just *not* "made for human beings"
> > imho.
>
> I've never heard C syntax reviled quite so intensely.  What syntax do
> you like, out of curiosity?

Pascal, Python, if written by someone who uses semantic identifiers and
avoids to use C(++)/Java-isms. I've seen Eiffel as well (without
understanding it) and it didn't look ridiculous to me.

In short, syntax that contains the strict minimum of "special"
characters (delimiting lists etc. with brackets is ok to me), and
almost exclusively human readable words. Although, if you push it to the
extreme; Applescript is nice to read, but much less nice to write
imho... :-/

C, C++, Java, Javascript, PHP, Perl etc., however, are just
unspeakable <expletives>.

<rant>

BTW; Yes, I do *hate* those C(++)-isms (or Java-isms) that have started
to sneak into Python in the past ~10 years. Using e.g. == for
comparisons is just braindead. Use := for assignments instead, because
that's mathematical syntax. And that "@" for decorators is, well, who
proposed it? I'd like to cut off all his fingers with a bolt cutter.
The same for people who use augmented assignments, "syntax shortcuts"
or abbrvtd idtfrs. Ship them all to Fukushima, one way, no return
ticket. Learn to touch-type, get an editor with decent syntax
completion or just stop wreaking havoc to the world economy with your
laziness. Code is read a hundred times more often than it is typed.

</rant>

Sincerely,

Wolfgang