Experiences/guidance on teaching Python as a first programming language

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Fri Dec 20 21:04:24 EST 2013

On 12/20/13 6:58 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2013 02:16:05 GMT, Steven D'Aprano
> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> declaimed the following:
>

>> 2) Even for kernel developers, I believe that systems languages should be
>> safe by default. You ought to have to explicitly disable (say) bounds
>> checking in critical sections of code, rather than explicitly enable it.
>> Or worse, have to program your own bounds checking -- especially if the
>> compiler is permitted to silently disregard it if you make one tiny
>> mistake.
>>
> 	I wonder how BLISS falls into that... Have to read the rest of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLISS (while I had 22 years on VMS, it was
> mostly F77, a touch of F90, C, Pascal, and some DCL; but never used BLISS)

Bliss is even lower-level than C.  It made the too-consistent choice of
having names mean the same thing on the left-hand side of an assignment
as on the right-hand side.  A name meant the address of a variable, so
to access the value of a variable, you had to dereference it with the
dot operator, much like the unary asterisk in C.

C:	a = b
Bliss:	a = .b

C:	a = a + 1
Bliss:	a = .a + 1

C:	a = *b
Bliss:	a = ..b

C: 	a = &b
Bliss:	a = b

It was far too common to forget the dots...