Experiences/guidance on teaching Python as a first programming language

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Thu Dec 19 13:40:52 EST 2013

On 2013-12-19, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Steven D'Aprano
><steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> But why is so much non-performance critical code written in C?
>> Why so many user-space applications?
>
> Very good question! I don't have an answer. There are a few
> "maybe-answers", but they mostly come down to "programmer
> didn't know of a viable alternative".

I believe it was Andrew Plotkin (glk, Glulxe, lots of other
stuff) who said that writing good C requires something like
brain-damage. Once you have acquired the brain-damage, writing C
code is no problem; in fact, it feels darn good.

And another thing: How many other languages have their very own
calling convention?

--
Neil Cerutti