Experiences/guidance on teaching Python as a first programming language

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 11:56:32 EST 2013

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:51:07 PM UTC+5:30, Larry.... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> > I was in charge of the team at work that had to make all code Y2K compliant.
> > I discovered the one bug that to my knowledge slipped through the net.  Four
> > years later back at the same place on contract I fixed the fix!!!

> > From around 1997 till 2000 all I did was fix Y2K bugs. I'm pretty
> > sure I got them all. For one client I fixed well over 200. After
> > the new > year came and nothing broke, the owner of the company
> > said "You made > such a big deal about this Y2K stuff, and it
> > turned out not to be a > problem at all."

Hahaha -- Very funny and serious.  Ive been actually experienced being
kicked out of job for writing decent working code and not making a big
deal of it.

Comes back the start of the thread -- What do we teach students?
Should we teach how to write the best possible code and as effortlessly
as possible?  Or should we also teach how to make a fuss, how to pretend
to (over)work while actually (under)delivering?

In a Utopia this would not be a question at all.
But we dont live in Utopia...

[And there are languages WAY better than C... C++ for example]