CP65001 fails (was re: ...)

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 14 18:32:33 EST 2013

On 14/12/2013 22:51, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>> ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE SEE
>>> LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE
>>> EURO SIGN
>>> CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-3456
>>> CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER GJE
>>> COUNTERBORE
>>> ASTERISK
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> cp65001, font: Consolas
>>>
>>> D:\jm\jmgo>echo "ሴé€㑖Ѓ⌴*"
>>> "ሴé€㑖Ѓ⌴*"
>>>
>>> As I explained some chars are rendered with the .notdef glyph: the
>>> chars 1, 4 and 7.
>>>
>>> I build an exe with the golang. Same result.
>>>
>>> Just for curiosity:
>>> XeTeX -> pdf: same result.
>>> LucidaConsole CID TrueType,
>>> Consolas CID TrueType
>>> understand: "OpenType"
>>>
>>> jmf
>>>

>> Where is the Python related issue here?
>
> Read the whole thread before charging in like a bull at a gate accusing
> people of being off-topic. This is on-topic, and if you don't see the
> connection, you need to read the whole thread.

I have.  Going back over this thread the words from Terry Reedy make
things perfectly clear that this is a *WINDOWS* problem, not a *PYTHON*
one.  Chris Angelico also weighed in, but again he was simply ignored.
Instead some completely irrelevant cobblers turned up from "Joseph
McCarthy".

>> Why do you keep posting double spaced crap, despite repeated requests
>> not to do so?  Or do you blame this on the allegedly failed PEP 393
>> FSR implementation?
>
> I see no double-spacing in the text you quoted.

There is no double spacing because for the umpteenth time I've snipped
the whole damn lot.

> Do you have nothing better to do than continually hassle people over
> minor formatting issues?

This is *NOT* a minor formatting issue, it's a big PITA that should be
stopped at source.  It would be easier for this to happen if and only if
people would stop defending the bug ridden crap tools that are being
used to send the double spaced crap.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me Mozilla Thunderbird ?
My friends all use GG, I think that's absurd.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from the nerds,
So Lord, won't you buy me Mozilla Thunderbird ?

> Formatting issues are harmful to the degree they get in the way of
> efficient communication. Since by your own admission you have never
> treated JMF as being credible, there's nothing he can write or say that
> you will believe, so why do you care what he writes? You are not the
> target of his communication unless you choose to be.

While he continues to talk crap here I will respond, as I will also
complain about double spaced google crap until it stops.  I will further
state again that I find his disgusting, unwarrented attacks on the PEP
393 FSR indefensible, and are also an attack on the core developers
who've taken the time to deliver a faster, (relatively) bug free and
lower memory useage implementation of unicode for Python 3.3+.

> Apart from annoying the bystanders, your repeated angry and abusive
> screeds aimed at JMF in particular but others as well over minor
> formatting issues is more disruptive than the issues you are complaining
> about. I am grateful to you for taking the time and effort to write up a
> wiki page on fixing this issues, but gratitude for that will only go so
> far in forgiving disruptive behaviour.

Your opinion, obviously I disagree, these IMO are *NOT* minor issues,
and they're also completely avoidable.  Stop the problems at source and
there are no issues to complain about.  I've written no such thing, I
simply point it out half a dozen times a day as the latest pile of crap
turns up here.  Stop the problems at source and there are no issues to
complain about.  Yes, that's there twice so nobody can miss it.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence