Experiences/guidance on teaching Python as a first programming language

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 09:03:46 EST 2013

Le samedi 14 décembre 2013 00:30:38 UTC+1, Terry Reedy a écrit :

> What is not clear to me is whether Windows internally uses UCS-2, which
>
> only codes BMP chars, and which would *not* be excellent, or UTF-16,
>
> which covers all chars by using surrogates. I will guess the latter.
>
> More to the point, even if MS uses a complete coding scheme internally
>
> (UFT-16), it does not, as far as I know, make it fully available and
>
> usable to *me*, as I showed in my response about code page 65001.

-------------

D:\>chcp 65001
Page de codes active : 65001
D:\>echo "*"
"*"
D:\>

>>> locale.getdefaultlocale()
('fr_CH', 'cp1252')

In my understanding and experience, in the MS world
(desktop, intel), today:
Unicode == utf-16-le

If you think, utf-16, because of surrogate pairs, is
not a proper solution, the single choice is utf-32.

You may not be aware, you are already using utf-32
probably much more than you think, (in a correct way).

jmf