Experiences/guidance on teaching Python as a first programming language

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 10:01:39 EST 2013

On 12/12/2013 14:34, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:
> Le jeudi 12 décembre 2013 11:28:35 UTC+1, Chris Angelico a écrit :
>> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM,  <wxjmfauth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Windows, Py2.(7), ascii. It is not a secret Python uses
>>
>>> ascii for the representation.
>>

>> Actually no, it doesn't.
>>

>> Python 2.7.4 (default, Apr  6 2013, 19:54:46) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
>>
>> (Intel)] on win32

>> abcd©
>>

>> The copyright symbol is not in ASCII. Are you suggesting that Python
>>
>> uses a 7-bit internal representation of this data? Because a quick
>>
>> squiz at the source code will prove that wrong. This is not ASCII.

> '2.7.6 (default, Nov 10 2013, 19:24:18) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]'
> 'cp1252'
> 'abc\xa9'
> 'abc\xa9'
> abc© abc© ('abc\xa9', 'abc\xa9')
> 	t = repr(o)
> 	newt = t.replace('\\xa9', '©')
> 	return newt

> abc© abc© ('abc\xa9', 'abc\xa9') ('abc©', 'abc©')
>>>>

> jmf
>
> PS I do not insist on "sys.displayhook"
>
> PS2 I can only congratulate this Turkish guy for
> his understanding of Python

I understand that this Turkish guy will be added to the list here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_Award next year for his stunning
contribution to the field of computer science.  The year after he will
win the award again for his outstanding contribution which prevents
people from sending double spaced crap to this list.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence