python programming help

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 02:57:37 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM,  <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> However it does not change the fact that people here have responded
> in rather extreme way to GG posts including calling GG users "twits"
> and claiming GG posts damage their eyesight, as well as repeatedly
> denying the obvious fact that GG is much easier to use for many than
> to subscribe to a usenet provider or to a mailing list.  One frequently
> sees words like "crap", "slimy", "rubbish" etc to describe GG posts
> which is pretty intimating to people who just want some help with a
> python question using a tool they already know how to use and have
> had no complaints about in other places.

Please note though that there is a difference between describing the
users as twits and describing the posts as slimy. Suppose you write a
letter (the sort that goes on a slab of dead tree) and, instead of
placing it in an envelope and putting a stamp on it, you hand it to
the Arac News Insertion Device[1] to do the enveloping for you. He
does a reasonable job of it, but he uses cobwebs instead of paper for
the envelope. Sure, it's still readable... but your readers now have
to rub off a whole lot of cobwebs before they can read what you said.
That makes your post distasteful, without it being at all your fault -
other than choosing to use Arac's service. That's how I see Google
Groups posts. Someone's gone looking for help about Python and has
found that. It's not their fault that they don't know about
alternatives; so I point out the alternatives.

ChrisA

[1] http://math.boisestate.edu/gas/princess_ida/webop/pi_04.html
On the whole we are
Not intelligent...