[newbie] struggling wth tkinter

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Sat Dec 7 13:12:50 EST 2013

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 08:52:08 -0800 (PST), Jean Dubois
<jeandubois314 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to go through a tutorial on tkinter which has the code
below as an example. The only thing I see when running it is a little
popup with "Click mouse here to quit" which works as expected but
always shows the following error-message.
> However the "main" window which should let you enter the numbers is
not shown.
> This is the quit error message:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./feet2meters.py", line 3, in <module>
>     from tkinter import ttk
> ImportError: cannot import name ttk

> This is the code:
> #!/usr/bin/env python
> from tkinter import *
> from tkinter import ttk

Thanks for supplying the complete traceback.  But you should also
tell the python version and what OS.  I'll guess python 3.3 on Linux.

Finally,  what version tk are you running?  These widgets were
introduced in tk 8.5

Since it failed on the second import, none of the rest of the code
matters. However, since you're not running it from a terminal window,
it's conceivable that your ide is affecting the result.

--
DaveA