interactive help on the base object

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Mon Dec 9 05:59:29 EST 2013

On 12/9/13 12:11 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 15:01:59 -0800, Mark Janssen wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

>>> What are you talking about? Until this very post, I haven't made any
>>> comments in this thread.
>>
>> It was a few months ago.  You do know what I'm talking about because you
>> just expounded with the exact same argument below.  It's like a broken
>> record.
>
> While I am gratified that you apparently memorise and obsess over things
> I wrote months ago, I'm sorry to tell you that I wasn't lying when I said
> that I didn't know what you were talking about. I had no idea that you
> were referring to a completely different conversation, nor do I recall
> every post I write here.
>
> If I repeated the same argument, it is because the argument is still
> valid. Drawing the root of the tree at the top of the page is just a
> convention, just driving on the left side of the road, or calling the
> elected head of state "Prime Minister". There are other ways to do such
> things which are equally valid, and so long as both parties agree on the
> convention, it doesn't matter whether you write from left-to-right like
> in Australia, right-to-left like in Egypt, or alternate like in Israel.
>

>> (Now if *I* sound like a broken record, it's because no seems
>> to see the obvious, but carry on.)
>
> It must be such a trial to be the only sane man in a world gone mad.
>

> [...]
>>> What matters is the relationships between the entities, not the
>>> specific direction they are drawn in relative to some imaginary
>>> absolute space. [yadda, yagni, yadda]
>>
>> But, there IS A DIFFERENCE.  Let me explain the concept of a object
>> model (or "type model" if you prefer).
>>
>> In a family inheritance tree,  there is this difference -- called the
>> "calendar" --  which imposes an ordering which can't be countermanded by
>> flipping your silly chart around.  You made a bullshit example to simply
>> argue a point and *fooled yourself* into ignoring this.  Yes?
>
> No. You haven't explained anything, you have merely made an assertion
> with no supporting evidence at all.
>
> In a family tree of ancestors and descendants, the relationship being
> draw is time-based. Ancestors exist before descendants. Descendants are
> derived in some way from ancestors, not the other way around. We all
> agree that your father existed before you. The temporal direction of the
> relationship is absolutely fixed, past before present, ancestors before
> descendants. We can agree on this.
>
> Explain to me this: what (apart from mere human convention) imposes the
> ordering "past must be at the top of the page"?
>
> If you are reading this as email, your mail client very likely has an
> option to sort message in order that they were received, either most-
> recent at the top or oldest at the top. Do you really mean to imply that
> one of those is logical and the other is delusional?

> [...]

And the cycle continues:

1. A thread mentions some fundamental aspect of computing.

2. Mark Janssen jumps in to hint that we are all confused, and he knows
how things should really work, with no details.

3. The discussion expands to the point of Mark making some claim which
sounds close to a truth, but seems actually wrong ("It matters to the
computer").

4. Reasonable people try to engage in an actual discussion of what was said.

5. (Coming next) Mark ignores the bulk of the discussion, picks out one
detail, and continues making snide and incorrect remarks, skittering
away from the light of reason.

Maybe we could just not?