interactive help on the base object

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 22:05:14 EST 2013

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (Note bene: as a comparison, C++ is very UNAMBIGUOUS about
>> this fact -- all objects inherit from concrete machine types, which is
>> why it remains important, *despite* being one of the worst to do OOP
>> in.  Its *type model* is probably the most clear of any
>> object-oriented language).
>
> Factually wrong. In C++, it is actually *impossible* to inherit from a
> "concrete machine type", by which presumably you mean the classic
> types int/char/float etc.

Wow, you guys trip me out, but I guess I've been working in a
different universe where I was mapping classes into basic types (using
generic programming along with typedef).  I'm going to have to
re-think all this confusion.

But, in any case, if you don't have a way to map your abstract objects
into machine types, you're working on magic, not computer science.

MarkJ
Tacoma, Washington