interactive help on the base object

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Dec 8 20:58:26 EST 2013

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 23:48:57 +0000, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> Terry's suggestion above remains odds on favourite on the grounds that
> there have been no other suggestions.  I'll give it another day, then
> raise a tracker issue,

It's not merely the default superclass, it *is* the superclass to
everything. In Python 3, you cannot create an object that doesn't derive
from object. (At least not in pure Python -- perhaps you could do so in a
C extension class?)

"Top" is misleading, because it assumes that class diagrams are always
drawn with ancestors at the top and descendants at the bottom.

No need to say that methods are inherited unless overridden, it goes
without saying that you can override methods.

object:

The most fundamental base class for all Python classes and the root of
the class inheritance hierarchy. All classes inherit from object.

--
Steven