interactive help on the base object

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 01:44:28 EST 2013

On Monday, December 9, 2013 10:56:28 AM UTC+5:30, ru... at yahoo.com wrote:
> On 12/08/2013 09:46 PM, rusi wrote:
> > On Monday, December 9, 2013 9:46:30 AM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> >> On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:58:09 -0800, rusi wrote:
> >[...]
> >> Does GG not give you some way of inspecting the post's full headers?
> > Well I spent half hour looking around -- both inside GG and of course
> > searching before asking.

> If you click on the little "down" triangle to the right
> of the "reply" button for a message, you'll get a menu
> that includes "Show Original".  You can see the headers
> including the "Content-Type:" in that original.

Thanks rurpy -- I only looked for how one may set and not just what is.

So now I look at my own post in GG and see

So far so good.

However when I point firefox at my own post in the archive
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2013-December/662015.html

firefox shows encoding as Windows-1252.

Note Ive looked at a dozen random pages and for all FF shows encoding as
utf-8 except the python list archive ones which show as Win 1252

Note looking into the html I see
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">

How us-ascii becomes Win-1252 is outside the reach of my meagre intelligence!

Though I still suspect something is not quite right with the python
mailing-list and/or archive in respect of char encodings.

[Am I beginning to sound like jmf is my guru :-) ]