[newbie] problem trying out simple non object oriented use of Tkinter

Daniel Watkins daniel at daniel-watkins.co.uk
Fri Dec 6 07:30:53 EST 2013

Hi Jean,

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 04:24:59AM -0800, Jean Dubois wrote:
> I'm trying out Tkinter with the (non object oriented) code fragment below:
> It works partially as I expected, but I thought that pressing "1" would
> cause the program to quit, however I get this message:
> TypeError: quit() takes no arguments (1 given), I tried changing quit to quit()
> but that makes things even worse. So my question: can anyone here help me
> debug this?

I don't know the details of the Tkinter library, but you could find out
what quit is being passed by modifying it to take a single parameter and
printing it out (or using pdb):

    def quit(param):
        print(param)
        sys.exit()

Having taken a quick look at the documentation, it looks like event
handlers (like your quit function) are passed the event that triggered
them.  So you can probably just ignore the parameter:

    def quit(_):
        sys.exit()

Cheers,

Dan