PIL(Pillow) fails with PNG image

tastyminerals tastyminerals at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 15:26:11 EST 2013

Hi, I am getting an error when trying to use Pillow library to display
image PNG  on a Tkinter Button widget. Here is my code.

|image=  Image.open(os.path.join('icons','bulb.png'))  # using PIL for png images
         self.correctGuessImage=  ImageTk.PhotoImage(image)

|File  "/home/user/Documents/temp.py",  line222,  in  drawButtons
     self.correctGuessImage=  ImageTk.PhotoImage(image)
   File  "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageTk.py",  line121,  in  __init__
     self.paste(image)
   File  "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageTk.py",  line171,  in  paste
     im.load()
   File  "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py",  line192,  in  load
     d=  Image._getdecoder(self.mode,  d,  a,  self.decoderconfig)
AttributeError:  'module'  object has no attribute'_getdecoder'|||

While working fine under windows 7x64 it fails to work on Linux Mint
x64. I am getting this error running the same file. I installed
everything I could find with 'python','png' and 'tk' from the reps but
no effect. Any ideas why is this happening and how to fix this?

Pavel