Packaging a proprietary Python library for multiple OSs

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 12:46:48 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>> It's like an argument my boss and I had: I said that PHP is a bad language, and
>> he said that it can't possibly be a bad language because he's able to
>> write good code in it.
>
> PHP is a disaster of a language.  But, like any bad tool, a good craftsman can produce a quality product with it.  Wikipedia is written in PHP.  So, apparently, is gmane :-)  As much as I loathe working with PHP, I have to admit that if you can build a product like Wikipedia on it, it must have some redeeming qualities.

Right. And the fact that Wikipedia can be written in PHP is not itself
proof that it's a good language. You and Rusi are fighting against
GG's faults and not entirely succeeding, as your paragraphs come out
unwrapped; that's possibly the least of the GG woes, but it's one of
the first clues that someone's replies are likely to be double-spaced.

A good tool does most of your work for you. A bad tool has to be
fought every inch of the way. Sometimes a tool is good but wrongly
chosen (don't use DeScribe Macro Language for writing a GUI - drop to
REXX for that!), but some tools have no good use at all.

ChrisA