Python 2.7.5: Strange and differing behavior depending on sys.setdefaultencoding being set

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Tue Dec 3 17:32:25 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm experiencing strange behavior with attached code, that differs depending
on sys.setdefaultencoding being set or not. If it is set, the code works as
expected, if not - what should be the usual case - the code fails with some
non-sensible traceback.

I tried to boil it down to a comprehensible state, but some LOC are still
involved. I use similar code to represent database records, where the repr's
appear in user visible logs for example.

It is greatly appreciated, if some kind soul could shed some light on this
ungrateful behavior.

Thanks in advance,
Pete