Python for microcontrollers

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 11:04:48 EST 2013

On Dec 3, 2013, at 6:18 AM, Colin J. Williams <cjw at ncf.ca> wrote:

> On 03/12/2013 7:58 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>> I thought this might be of interest
>> Http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/214379695/micro-python-python-for-microcontrollers
>>

> Is this intended to be better than the Raspberry PI?  RPi handles Python 2 or 3.
>
> How would it differ?

IMO, a whole different class of computer. From that page, the board they’re targeting “... clocked at 168MHz and has 1MiB flash and 192KiB RAM.” They’re running OS-less.

The Pi, on the other hand actually runs a full OS (Linux) and has specs like 700 MHz, 512MB Ram, and an sd card for storage which means you’re going to have to work hard to find something as small as 2G, the sweet price point is going to actually give you 8G.

Whether or not you go for their board, they’re targeting a compute environment that is 5x-ish slower, has at least 2000x less storage space, and works with about a thousandth of the ram of a Pi.

Having forayed into the world of small small micro controllers myself this last year and a half, I’m kind of torn on whether this is a good idea or not. But I think it’s cool they’re trying. And I’d definitely try it to see how it worked out.