multiprocessing: child process share changes to global variable

Alan alan.isaac at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 17:34:05 EST 2013

In the code below, child processes see changes to global variables caused by other child processes. That is, pool.map is producing a list where the value of ``lst`` is being (non-deterministically) shared across child processes.  Standard advice is that, "Processes have independent memory space" and "each process works with its own copy" of global variables, so I thought this was not supposed to happen. In the end, the globals are not changed, which matches my expectation. Still, clearly I have misunderstood what seemed to be standard advice.  Can someone clarify for me?

Expected result from pool.map: [[0],[1],[2]]
Usual result: [[0],[0,1],[0,1,2]]
Occasional result: [[0],[1],[0,2]]

Thanks,
Alan Isaac

#--------------- temp.py -------------------------
#run at Python 2.7 command prompt
import time
import multiprocessing as mp
lst = []
lstlst = []

def alist(x):
    lst.append(x)
    lstlst.append(lst)
    print "a"
    return lst

if __name__=='__main__':
    pool = mp.Pool(3)
    print pool.map(alist,range(3)) #UNEXPECTED RESULTS
    print "b"
    time.sleep(0.1)

print "c"
print lst