I look for a list to convert time zone abbreviation to full time zone in python

Stuart Bishop stuart at stuartbishop.net
Tue Dec 3 05:07:34 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Stéphane Klein
<contact at stephane-klein.info> wrote:

> * are there the same list somewhere (I didn't found in pytz) ?

Not that I know of.

> * is it possible to append this list in pytz or in standard python date module ?

It could go into pytz (but generated from the IANA database, not from
the list you quote). Whether it should go into pytz is debatable.

If you need to map an abbreviation back to a single timezone you are
solving the wrong problem, because you can only map an abbreviation
back to a list of possible timezones (And that list might change when
the database is corrected). Also, to correctly represent this you need
to specify the point in time. EST in 'Tue Dec  3 20:44:00 EST 2013'
maps to about 3 timezones. EST in 'Tue Dec  3 20:44:00 EST 2011' maps
to about 6.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/