using ffmpeg command line with python's subprocess module

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Dec 6 10:34:11 EST 2013

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 06:52:48 -0800, iMath wrote:

> yes ,I am a native Chinese speaker.I always post question by Google
> Group not through  email ,is there something wrong with it ? your
> english is a little strange to me .

Mark is writing in fake old-English style, the way people think English
was spoken a thousand years ago. I don't know why he did that. Perhaps he
thought it was amusing.

There are many problems with Google Groups. If you pay attention to this
forum, you will see dozens of posts about "Managing Google Groups
headaches" and other complaints:

- Google Groups double-spaces replies, so text which should appear like:

    line one
    line two
    line three
    line four

  turns into:

    line one
    blank line
    line two
    blank line
    line three
    blank line
    line four

- Google Groups often starts sending HTML code instead of plain text

- it often mangles indentation, which is terrible for Python code

- sometimes it automatically sets the reply address for posts to go
  to Google Groups, instead of the mailing list it should go to

- almost all of the spam on his forum comes from Google Groups, so many
  people automatically filter everything from Google Groups straight to
  the trash.

There are alternatives to Google Groups:

- Usenet, comp.lang.python

- the Gmane mirror:

  http://gmane.org/find.php?list=python-list%40python.org

and possibly others. You will maximise the number of people reading your
posts if you avoid Google Groups. If for some reason you cannot use any
of the alternatives, please take the time to fix some of the problems
with Google Groups. If you search the archives, you should find some
posts by Rusi defending Google Groups and explaining what he does to make
it more presentable, and (if I remember correctly) I think Mark also
sometimes posts a link to managing Google Groups.

--
Steven