Code of Conduct, Trolls, and Thankless Jobs [was Re: Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly]

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Dec 2 23:11:47 EST 2013

On 12/02/2013 07:22 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 12/2/2013 4:25 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> jmf is certainly a troll
>
> No, he is a person who discovered a minor performance regression in the FSR, which we fixed. Unfortunately, he then
> continued for a year with a strange troll-like anti-FSR crusade. But his posts in the Unicode handling thread were not
> part of that. It seems to me that continually beating someone over the head with the past discourages changed behavior.
> To me, the point of asking someone to 'stop' is to persuade them to stop. The reward for stopping should be to let the
> issue go.

I remember it slightly differently, but you're right -- we should let it drop.

>> the coddling of trolls and help-vampires also makes the list an
>> unfriendly place to be.
>
> I agree with the that as a statement, but not the implication. Was I hallucinating, or did you not recently participate
> in the discussion and decision to stop coddling our most obnoxious 'troll' in the community?

I'm afraid I don't see the point you are trying to make.  I'm against coddling those who refuse to learn and participate
with respect to the rest of us, and I did vote to stop such coddling [1] of a certain troll.  I don't see the discrepancy.

All that aside, thank you to you and the other moderators for your time and efforts.

--
~Ethan~

[1] Coddling can be an offensive word, and I wish to make clear that initial efforts to educate and help newcomers are
appropriate and warranted.  However, after some time has passed and the newcomer is no longer a newcomer and is still
exhibiting rude and ignorant behavior, further attempts to help most likely won't, and that is when I would classify
such attempts as coddling.

--
~Ethan~