Code of Conduct, Trolls, and Thankless Jobs [was Re: Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly]

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Dec 2 16:25:55 EST 2013

On 12/02/2013 12:45 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 02/12/2013 20:26, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 12/2/2013 10:45 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>>
>>> the worst loser in the world
>>
>> Mark, I consider your continual direct personal attacks on other posters
>> to be a violation of the PSF Code of Conduct, which *does* apply to
>> python-list. Please stop.
>
> The attacks that "Joseph McCarthy" has been launching on the core developers for the last 15 months are in my view now
> perfectly acceptable.  This is excellent news.  Everybody can now say what they like about the core developers and
> there's no comeback.
>
> You can also stuff the code of conduct, it's quite clearly only brought into play when it suits.  Never, ever aim it at
> somebody who goes out of their way to stir things up, always target it at the people who fight back *IS THE RULE HERE*.

Mark,  I sympathize with your feelings.  jmf is certainly a troll, and it doesn't feel like anything has been, or is
being, done about that situation (or for that matter, the help vampire situation... although I haven't seen any threads
from that one lately -- did he give up, or has he been moderated away?).  However, I would suggest that when you are
venting, you write the email and then just delete it.  I personally don't mind the light and humorous posts, but when
the name-calling starts it makes the list an unfriendly place to be.  And, to be clear, the coddling of trolls and
help-vampires also makes the list an unfriendly place to be.

Terry, would it be appropriate to share some of what the moderators do do for us on this list and the others?  And what
does the Code of Conduct have to say about trolls and help-vampires?

--
~Ethan~