Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 19:43:43 EST 2013

On 01/12/2013 22:50, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 12/01/2013 02:06 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> I don't remember him [jmf] ever having a valid point, so FTR can we
>> have a reference please.  I do remember Steven D'Aprano
>> showing that there was a regression which I flagged up here
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue16061.  It was fixed by Serhiy
>> Storchaka, who appears to have forgotten more about Python than I'll
>> ever know, grrr!!! :)
>
> The initial complaint came, unsurprisingly, from jmf.  But don't worry
> much, even a stopped clock has a better track record... it's at least
> right twice a day.  ;)
>
> --
> ~Ethan~

I had to chuckle, "initial complaint" indeed!!!  He first started
complaining in August 2012 in this thread
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2012-August/628650.html.
Then he continued in September 2012 in this thread
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2012-September/631613.html, which
lead to issue 16061.  He's been continuing to moan on and off ever
since, but funnily enough has *NEVER* produced a single shred of
evidence to back his claims.  We'll have to wait until the cows come
home before he does.

Contrast that to the Victor Stinner statement here
http://bugs.python.org/issue16061#msg171413 "Python 3.3 is 2x faster
than Python 3.2 to replace a character with another if the string only
contains the character 3 times. This is not acceptable, Python 3.3 must
be as slow as Python 3.2!"  Thinking about that I really do want the
Python 2 code back.  Apart from the PEP 393 implementation being faster,
using less memory and being correct, it has nothing to offer.  Now what
Python sketch does that remind me of? :)

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence