Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 18:10:33 EST 2013

On 01/12/2013 22:29, Tim Delaney wrote:
> On 2 December 2013 09:06, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
> <mailto:breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     I don't remember him ever having a valid point, so FTR can we have a
>     reference please.  I do remember Steven D'Aprano showing that there
>     was a regression which I flagged up here
>     http://bugs.python.org/__issue16061
>     <http://bugs.python.org/issue16061>.  It was fixed by Serhiy
>     Storchaka, who appears to have forgotten more about Python than I'll
>     ever know, grrr!!! :)
>

>  From your own bug report (quoting Steven): "Nevertheless, I think there
> is something here. The consequences are nowhere near as dramatic as jmf
> claims ..."
>
> His initial postings did lead to a regression being found.
>
> Tim Delaney

I'll begrudgungly concede that point, but must state that it was was an
edge case that is unlikely to have too much impact in the real world.
Unfortunately he's still making his ridiculous claims about the FSR,
hence my nickname of "Joseph McCarthy".  I'll admit to liking that, it
just feels right to me, YMMV.

What also really riles me is that he uses double spaced google crap,
despite repeated requests from various people here for others to fix how
they use it, or get a decent email client.

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence