Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 17:06:10 EST 2013

On 01/12/2013 20:54, Tim Delaney wrote:
> On 2 December 2013 07:15, <wxjmfauth at gmail.com
> <mailto:wxjmfauth at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     0.11.13 02:44, Steven D'Aprano написав(ла):
>      > (2) If you reverse that string, does it give "lëon"? The
>     implication of
>      > this question is that strings should operate on grapheme clusters
>     rather
>      > than code points. ...
>      >

>     BTW, a grapheme cluster *is* a code points cluster.
>

> Anyone with a decent level of reading comprehension would have
> understood that Steven knows that. The implied word is "individual" i.e.
> "... rather than [individual] code points".
>
> Why am I responding to a troll? Probably because out of all his baseless
> complaints about the FSR, he *did* have one valid point about
> performance that has now been fixed.
>
> Tim Delaney

I don't remember him ever having a valid point, so FTR can we have a
reference please.  I do remember Steven D'Aprano showing that there was
a regression which I flagged up here http://bugs.python.org/issue16061.
  It was fixed by Serhiy Storchaka, who appears to have forgotten more
about Python than I'll ever know, grrr!!! :)

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence