Managing Google Groups headaches

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Dec 6 18:27:58 EST 2013

rusi wrote:
> On Friday, December 6, 2013 1:06:30 PM UTC+5:30, Roy Smith wrote:
>
>>Which means, if I wanted to (and many examples of this exist), I can
>>write my own client which presents the same information in different
>>ways.
>
> Not sure whats your point.

The point is the existence of an alternative interface that's
designed for use by other programs rather than humans.

This is what web forums are missing. If it existed, one could
easily create an alternative client with a newsreader-like
interface. Without it, such a client would have to be a
monstrosity that worked by screen-scraping the html.

It's not about the format of the messages themselves -- that
could be text, or html, or reST, or bbcode or whatever. It's
about the *framing* of the messages, and being able to
query them by their metadata.

--
Greg