Managing Google Groups headaches

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 09:11:23 EST 2013

On Friday, December 6, 2013 7:18:19 PM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM, rusi  wrote:
> > I guess we are using 'structured' in different ways.  All I am saying
> > is that mediawiki which seems to present as html, actually stores its
> > stuff as SQL -- nothing more or less structured than the schemas here:
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:MediaWiki_architecture#Database_and_text_storage

> Yeah, but the structure is all about the metadata.

Ok (I'd drop the 'all')

> Ultimately, there's one single text field containing the entire content

Right

> as you would see it in the page editor: wiki markup in straight text.

Aha! There you are! Its 'page editor' here and not the html which
'display source' (control-u) which a browser would show. And wikimedia
is the software that mediates.

The usual direction (seen by users of wikipedia) is that wikimedia
takes this text, along with the other unrelated (metadata?) seen
around -- sidebar, tabs etc, css settings and munges it all into html

The other direction (seen by editors of wikipedia) is that you edit a
page and that page and history etc will show the changes,
reflecting the fact that the SQL content has changed.

> MediaWiki uses an SQL database to store that lump of text, but
> ultimately the relationship is between wikitext and HTML, no SQL
> involvement.

Dunno what you mean. Every time someone browses wikipedia, things are
getting pulled out of the SQL and munged into the html (s)he sees.